Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced a 21-day lockdown starting from midnight tonight as a major step in fighting the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic.
The Odisha government on March 24 extended the lockdown to the entire State. “We announced lockdown for 14 districts on Monday. From midnight of Tuesday, we are bringing all 30 districts under lockdown,” said Subroto Bagchi, State Chief Spokesperson on COVID-19.
“From midnight tonight, the entire country will go under a complete lockdown.” With these words, for the first time in its history, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday put the entire nation under a strict three-week curfew.
“Every state, every Union Territory, every district, every village and every locality is being put under lockdown,” he announced in his second address to the nation since the outbreak of the global Covid-19 pandemic that has claimed more than 17,000 lives around the world so far.
During the “containment” period of 21 days from March 25, 2020, the following services will remain open:
- Shops, including ration shops, dealing with food, groceries, fruits and vegetables, dairy and milk booths, meat and fish, animal fodder. District authorities to encourage home delivery to minimise individual movement.
- Banks, insurance offices and ATMs
- Print and electronic media
- Telecommunication services (internet, cable, IT/IT enabled services for essentials)
- Delivery of food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment through e-commerce
- Petrol pumps, LPG, petroleum and gas retail and storate outlets
- Power and electricity services
- Capital and debt markets notified by SEBI
- Cold storage and warehousing
- Private security services